Subject: Re: An idea using emulation
From: "John J. Cruz" <casacruz@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:25:58 -0400

I'm not sure if you're aware but it is not just the lack of a Linux driver
that makes winmodems not good devices to use.     The winmodem I believe
lacks a UART and this function is performed by the cpu.  This is one reason
you are required to have a Pentium as a minimum.  There are other factors
but this is enough reason to buy a real modem.  This trend of designing
hardware out of software is spilling into printers, sound cards, etc.

John