Subject: Re: Lucent based Winmodems.
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 17:18:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Richard wrote:
>  I have just joined the list and would be very gratefull if someone
> could update me on the state of play of driver development for
> Lucent based Winmodems.
>
>  I have one and want get it working, so if anyone needs drivers testing
> or needs some develoment work done then please let me know.

No work besides gathering knowledge has been done at present.  For
Lucent at least (what I have) specs are unavailable.

Some notes/thoughts I have about Lucent winmodems:

- You can find PDF tech docs and sample assembly code for the core
DSP16xx instruction set on Lucent's Web site.

- Lucent's site also has a good overview of the card layout and overall
flow.

- On http://www.sysinternals.com/ they have some tools which allow one
to monitor I/O that devices drivers do.  This would be useful in
figuring out how to wake up and talk to the card.

- Under Linux 2.2.x 'lspci -vv' gives you a bunch of info about your PCI
winmodem.

- Are Win95 drivers 100% 16-bit?  If so, an x86 emulator already
exists:  the one in the TWIN windows emulator.  This is the same
emulator core that was ported to dosemu.  It should be straightforward
(but _very_ time consuming) to build a userland daemon around this
emulator core, and emulate the windows device driver.