Subject: Re: Lucent based Winmodems.
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: 24 May 1999 02:33:22 -0000

Jeff Garzik writes:
 > On Sat, 22 May 1999, Richard wrote:
 > >  I have just joined the list and would be very gratefull if someone
 > > could update me on the state of play of driver development for
 > > Lucent based Winmodems.
 > >
 > >  I have one and want get it working, so if anyone needs drivers testing
 > > or needs some develoment work done then please let me know.
 >
 > No work besides gathering knowledge has been done at present.  For
 > Lucent at least (what I have) specs are unavailable.
 >
 > Some notes/thoughts I have about Lucent winmodems:
 >
 > - You can find PDF tech docs and sample assembly code for the core
 > DSP16xx instruction set on Lucent's Web site.
 >
 > - Lucent's site also has a good overview of the card layout and overall
 > flow.

Since I don't have a Lucent winmodem (anyone know of a cheap mail
order source?) I haven't tried to track down the docs yet.
Reportedly, however, Ed Schulz (Lucent employee) has been very
cooperative getting documentation to people.  IMHO, the problem has
been that a "modem" modem is perceived as an extremely large task the
value of which is questionable under an operating system which doesn't
waste cycles like Windows does.  I think that, if more hackers
realized what the true calling of a linmodem, they'd be more
interested in writing drivers.  So evangelize the linmodems page
whenever people diss winmodems under Linux.

--
Crynwr supports Open Source(tm) Software| PGPok | Good parenting creates
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | an adult, not a perfect