Subject: gnokii & AT emulators
From: Hugh Blemings <hugh@vsb.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 14:58:32 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

First a quick introduction/de lurk

I'm involved with an open source project called gnokii, main website of
which is at;

http://multivac.fatburen.org/gnokii

The project is aiming to provide a linux driver for Nokia GSM mobile
phones.  In short we're working on writing a driver that talks the Nokia
proprietary protocol out one side via a physical serial port and on the
other side provides a "virtual modem" interface that emulates a serial
port using pseudo ttys or similar.  A side channel using IP will probably
also be provided to allow monitoring of the phone when a call is in
progress.

I write because I see some similarities between what we are trying to
achieve and the linmodem effort - particuarly in the area of AT
command/modem emulation.  We do not need to do realtime mod/demod of audio
as the GSM network is digital anyway, rather we will need to munge data
into/out of GSM frames.  None the less I envisage that there is quite a
lot of common ground.

I'm curious as to what if any work has progressed on the modem emulation
side of things as I'm in the process of writing this myself.  I would of
course be happy to make this code available once it is a little more
advanced or if someone is already well down that path save myself some time
by using prior art as it were!

The document at the URL below whilst a little out of date now gives some
more details as to our planned direction.

http://multivac.fatburen.org/gnokii/software_roadmap.shtml

Hope this is of interest,

Cheers,
Hugh

      Proverbs 3:5,6 - Read The Book for further details  :)
  Hugh Blemings  |  Ph:     02 6255 5055   Fax:   02 6255 1457
  VSB Pty Ltd    |  Mobile: 0411 647 662   email: hugh@vsb.com.au