Subject: Re: Lucent based Winmodems.
From: Richard <richard@close.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 00:18:55 -0400

Hi,

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Some notes/thoughts I have about Lucent winmodems:
>
> - You can find PDF tech docs and sample assembly code for the core
> DSP16xx instruction set on Lucent's Web site.
>
> - Lucent's site also has a good overview of the card layout and overall
> flow.

 I am investigating this, but I can't find any references to my chipset
which is:
HV90P-T
Has anyone got any info on this?

> - On http://www.sysinternals.com/ they have some tools which allow one
> to monitor I/O that devices drivers do.  This would be useful in
> figuring out how to wake up and talk to the card.

 Unfortunately this is for Windoze :(  Do you know of any Linux equiverlant?

> - Under Linux 2.2.x 'lspci -vv' gives you a bunch of info about your PCI
> winmodem.

 Is anyone interested in keeping a database of PCI profiles for modems?
This may be useful later on. I have tagged mine on at the end of the
message.
I used lspci -vvx .

> - Are Win95 drivers 100% 16-bit?  If so, an x86 emulator already
> exists:  the one in the TWIN windows emulator.  This is the same
> emulator core that was ported to dosemu.  It should be straightforward
> (but _very_ time consuming) to build a userland daemon around this
> emulator core, and emulate the windows device driver.

 Could we get hold of the source for the Windoze drivers? Lucent provide
generic drivers for the lesser operating systems so maybe they could be
pursuaded
to let us have the source for porting/modification.

 I've noticed a lot of cheap "winmodems" around recently, I feel that the
Linux
comunity should not be frozen out of this modem bonanza. I don't know if
it's the same in the
States but over here the computer fairs have shed loads of them at 20 to
30 (UKP).

 Regards,
    Richard.

lspci -vvx extract for KTX V90/56Flex PCI modem,
Lucent HV90P-T and 1034AH-J chips.

00:0f.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device
044a (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 13e0:0012
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B
-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <
PERR-
        Latency: 252 min, 14 max, 0 set
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 9
        Region 0: Memory at ffbdff00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Region 1: I/O ports at ffe0
        Region 2: I/O ports at fc00
        Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- AuxPwr- DSI+ D1- D2+ PME-
00: c1 11 4a 04 07 01 90 02 01 00 80 07 00 00 00 00
10: 00 ff bd ff e1 ff 00 00 01 fc 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 e0 13 12 00
30: 00 00 00 00 f8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 01 fc 0e