Subject: Re: Lucent based Winmodems.
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:42:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Richard wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > - On http://www.sysinternals.com/ they have some tools which allow one
> > to monitor I/O that devices drivers do.  This would be useful in
> > figuring out how to wake up and talk to the card.
> >

>  Unfortunately this is for Windoze :(  Do you know of any Linux equiverlant?

Well you can't really run a Windows device driver, and observe its
interaction with the hardware, without Windows.

> > - Are Win95 drivers 100% 16-bit?  If so, an x86 emulator already
> > exists:  the one in the TWIN windows emulator.  This is the same
> > emulator core that was ported to dosemu.  It should be straightforward
> > (but _very_ time consuming) to build a userland daemon around this
> > emulator core, and emulate the windows device driver.
>
>  Could we get hold of the source for the Windoze drivers? Lucent provide
> generic drivers for the lesser operating systems so maybe they could be
> pursuaded
> to let us have the source for porting/modification.

They provide generic binary drivers :)

I believe (but do not know for sure) that one reason why source is
unavailable is that the modem protocols (V42, V90, etc) are covered by
patents.

	Jeff