Subject: Re: Lucent based Winmodems.
From: Richard <richard@close.u-net.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:55:04 -0400

Ted Knupke wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > >  Unfortunately this is for Windoze :(  Do you know of any Linux equiverlant?
> >
> > Well you can't really run a Windows device driver, and observe its
> > interaction with the hardware, without Windows.

 Sorry I wasn't paying attention, I was thinking of general utilities for accessing
hardware.
Have you tried Windriver? I have an evaluation copy of the Linux version, it has
some good
utilities that allow you to scan hardware and read/write to memory and registers.
The windoze
version has a wizard too.

 I have only Linux machines at home, and limited access to NT machines at work so
observing
the behaviour could be tricky, unless I could use an emulator.

> What this comes down to is that you have to use the tools of the devil to
> understand what the devil is doing.
>
> On the other hand, .....  we could always disassemble the code.
>
> Ted

 Are there any good dissamblers out there?

 Thanks,
    Richard.