Subject: Re: Reasons why the linmodems project is valueable
From: Pierre Scotney <pierre@mail.medstv.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:34:35 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, alshag wrote:

> 1)  A good portion of those who use Linux are students
[SNIP!]

> 2)  The one reason left that all Windows supporters have for
> insulting Linux is that Linux doesn't support the most
> cost-effective hardware.
[SNIP!]

I agree with both your points, controller-less modems are cheap and
effective devices and come as standard in new home PCs.  When it comes
to Linux bashing, it is hardware support in general that is an important
issue to Linux advocates.  I wouldn't be so bad if the modems came with
recompiled drivers that we could modprobe into the kernel, although this
against the GNU freesource ideal at least the hardware would be
usable out of the box, of course only time will tell if this will
happen.

Regards

Pierre.

PS: I would recommend upgrading your Linux 2.0.9 kernel to the latest
2.2.x kernel, you will find it runs surprisingly quicker.

--
Dr Pierre Scotney
St. Vincent's Institute for Medical Research