Subject: RE: Where to start?
From: "Dominic Papandria (3 Com Corp.)" <v-dpap@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:38:01 -0700

All,

Actually, VXD's are required to contain x86 assembler code.  While there
have been efforts at making the Win32 API available in Linux (with what
success, I can't say),  I believe that the VXD model would collide
head-first with the Linux kernel.  The routines really are that low-level.
If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me here.

Better bet would be to get an image of pre-compiled DSP code under license
from a modem or chipset vendor along with a functional specification to
write a loader and how to communicate with the DSP once it's running.  This
way you can provide the source for the loader and whatever driver you whip
up to make the whole works look like a serial port to the OS.  Depending on
how many protocols you wanted to engage in the controller, you could either
develop your own or license those from a third party.

Dominic