Subject: Re: LT WinModem
From: Richard <richard@close.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 00:16:55 -0400

TWB wrote:

> Richard,
> I have an LT winmodem that came with my sonyPCV230, I'm running redhat
> 5.2
> Do you think the the Venus Lucent work-around from :
> http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html ,
> will work on my modem?

 First check you device using cat /proc/pci.

For your card the Vendor id should be 11c1.
If the Device id is 480 then congratulations! You can map your serial
port
as he suggests and it may work.

However, if the Device id is 44a then tough! You have the same as me.

One thing you could try that I can't do (I only have Linux) is to boot up
with
the inferior OS first, check the modem works, then reboot to Linux. Try
the
setserial mapping and see if it works.

If you are a Linux expert then ignore the next few lines!
To test the setserial technique use minicom to send AT commands. You
should
get a response straight away. To set up minicom type "minicom -s" and set
the
serial device, baud rate etc. as appropriate. To get the setserial
command to fire
on booting you should create the  file "/etc/rc.d/rc.serial" and place
the setserial
command string in there. This will work for Redhat, I'm not sure about
other dist's.

Please let me know how you get on, and mail me your /proc/pci output
(lspci -vvx
would be even better).

Regards,
    Richard.