Subject: LT WinModem
From: pnd@noao.edu (Phil Daly)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:02:56 -0700 (MST)

Hi,

I saw the post recently on the LT WinModem and I have one installed in my PC
at home. Can't tell you the model as it was shipped installed in my system
and the supplier forgot to provide documentation. Anyway, I checked my
/proc/pci file and this is what I got (don't have lspci):

  Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
  Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T) Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 1)
  Vendor id=11c1 Device id=442
  Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable
  IRQ 3. Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=252 Max Lat=14
  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory @ 0xe7000000
  I/O at 0xe400 [0xe401]
  I/O at 0xe800 [0xe801]

So, I did the following (under RedHat 5.2 with the kernel upgraded to 2.2.9):

  % setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0xe400 irq 3

and first it complained about the need to update software for /dev/ttyS0
but I have no such device (and I can't recall the full error sorry) but
a few more attempts got the command to work OK.

In minicom I get the "Online 00:00" message but it drops offline whenever I
try to dial out.

The question is: is it worth pursuing this as it looks close to working?
If so, any help would be appreciated :-)

(Of course, I'd like the modem working from Linux but since I can dual boot
into NT4 I can use the modem from there and after booting Linux mount the
NT partition and recover the downloaded files anyway).

Regards,
Phil